The Importance of Estrogen and Progesterone
Women appear differently to men because of its primary sex characteristics brought by two female hormones called estrogen and progesterone. Women are pre dominated by these hormones that they appear to have smaller hips, bigger chest, slimmer body and firmer skin compared to men. These particular hormones are also the reason why women menstruate.
Women who lack such sex hormones often have different physique that is closer to males. Usually, if women do not have enough estrogen and progesterone, they appear to have smaller breast and masculine appearance. However, if a women have an over production of these hormones, it may lead to more serious state like stroke and osteoporosis, as what other studies says.
Everyone including men must also know the importance of estrogen and progesterone in the women body. Men should also know that they have these hormones in their body but are found in minimal or sometimes in negligible amount. The hormone that is dominant to men is called testosterone. However, if a man has many estrogen and progesterone in his body, he may have the identifying characteristics of women. Men who have these hormones in huge amount appear to have bigger than normal male breasts, smaller body mass and some other sexual characteristics of women. Thus, it is important that estrogen and progesterone are of least amount in a male’s body.
Estrogen have three classifications, these are the following:
• Estrone is considered the relatively weak classification of estrogen.
• Estradiol is also considered the most potent classification of estrogen.
• Estriol is the weakest among them all.
The minimum amount of estrogen can be an effect of the following condition:
• Fetal demise
• Maternal ingestion of corticosteroids
• Placental sulfatase deficiency
Progesterone has the following functions:
• It is the hormone responsible for the preparation of endometrium for nidation.
• It maintains the normal function of the endometrium
• It relaxes the myometrium.
• It is the hormone used to prevent the uterus from contracting during pregnancy.
• It serves as the precursor for the critical fetal hormones during pregnancy.
• It is also responsible for the stimulation of the aldosterone to produce more during pregnancy.
These hormones are essential during pregnancy. Estrogen and progesterone are the main hormones that functions during pregnancy. So without it, women are not capable of bearing or producing a child. Therefore, these hormones are very important in reproduction.