Monster High Dolls
Monster High Dolls is a deviation from Mattel’s Barbie doll line. The creator of Monster High Dolls was also the creator of Barbie, Garrett Sander. This time, though, the creator took inspiration from horror movies and monster characters in developing high-fashion dolls. The brand was introduced in July 2010 and has been increasing in popularity over kids and tweens worldwide.
Monster High Dolls come in two sizes. The female dolls are approximately 10” in height while the male dolls are around 11”. They appear rather different from Barbie Dolls with their oversized heads, doe-like eyes and button noses. Since the dolls are inspired from monster fiction characters, their skin and their characterization also vary from each other. In general, the bodies of the dolls are made using ABS plastic, while their soft PVC heads sport saran fibers as their hair. Some male dolls have molded hairs made from plastic. Some parts are also removable such as the hands and the forearms.
Characters in Monster High Dolls are inspired from popular fictional characters with names such as Frankie Stein, Clawdeen Wolf, Draculaura, Deuce Gorgon, Cleo de Nile, and Ghoulia Yelps among others. The ages of the characters also revolve around their tweens. Aside from the dolls, Mattel also created a different branding for Monster High which includes stationeries, key chains, accessories, bags and so much more. Monster High web series, video games and Monster High books are also created under the brand.
• Character information are included in the box
• Aside from the Monster High Doll, the box also includes the characters’ accessories, pets, beauty accessories, and a doll stand.
• Dolls have fully articulated bodies with some removable parts.
• Fun for kids 6 years and up.
• Most user reviews center on the unique and fabulous qualities of the dolls’ physical characteristics such as their hair, accessories and the costumes that come with the character.
• The included doll stand is an excellent addition as other dolls that are currently in the market require separate purchase for this useful accessory.
• Material used for production makes the doll fragile.
• Removable parts easily snap off but they get can be connected back.
• Some parts are breakable.
• Small removable parts can be choking hazards for younger kids.
Mattel’s Monster High Dolls pose great competition for Mattel’s Barbie. Indeed, this new set of tween toys is taking their market by storm with the highly creative designs which are quite evident on the development of each doll’s characterization. The dolls are meant for tweens and teen girls. Since some of the removable parts are quite small and the risk of choking might be possible for those with toddlers and babies at home, most parents recommend getting Monster High Dolls with lesser removable parts. The great thing about Monster High Dolls is that the dolls can be made to pose in different angles and positions due to their articulated features. The box includes a lot of extras in the accessories department. The box also has useful information explaining the dolls’ characters which are entertaining and educational in a sense.