Guidelines to help you sell and buy websites
Wondering how to sell web domain names? Domain name trading has now become a profitable business on the Internet. Premium domains enjoy great demand and are usually noted for their catchy names and remarkable traffic. If you’re thinking about selling your website, it pays to be prepared. Here are some strategies that can help you in buying and selling websites:
– Keep financial reports and tax filings current. Although there may be nothing wrong with your website, you’ll scare off bidders with confusing or excessively delayed financial statements. If you’ve had trouble staying current in the past, upgrade your accounting software or consider using a CPA. It is vital to first assess the market value of your domain name through a domain appraisal study. Find out the market value of an extensive range of domain names such as aftermarket domains, high-value domains, top domains, secondary market domains, sounding domains etc.
– Strive for accuracy. Serious bidders will demand a high level of comfort, especially about the accuracy of cash-flow statements. This is a time when it may really pay off to invest in audited financial statements.
– Time your deal right. Although it always makes sense to try to sell during a hot market, it’s even more important to pay attention to what’s going on within your market niche. Don’t try to sell during a significant downturn – unless you absolutely don’t have any other options and are prepared to accept a rock-bottom price.
– Keep things simple. Anything unusual is bad news when it comes time to selling your website. So look at your website the way a stranger would, and eliminate complications before you try to sell. If you have mixed the revenue from several websites, separate them unless you intend to sell all of them together.
– Accept reality. If you’re operating in a highly competitive market, then your buyer will insist on a non-compete agreement. If you’re not prepared to make such concessions, your website probably won’t sell.
– Put a realistic price tag on your website. A good rule of thumb is that only on the rarest of occasions do companies sell for a price that’s as high as six times pre-tax earnings. If you’re trying to sell for more than that, be prepared for your financial status to be examined under a microscope.
– You can display a list of domain names for sale in the advertising market sites provided by various companies facilitating domain sales. Make your site attractive enough to invite a number of potential customers. In order to maximize the chance of sales, the site you created must be provided with relevant information.
– Sell domain names at various discount rates plus additional features. You can offer multiple domain names for a wholesale rate. Customers always look for low prices. In the rapid changing domain name market, price value can go up as time changes. So never display current price values on the sites but give an option for request price. Another selling technique is to offer domain names with longer registration periods. Domains which have been registered for longer periods invite more customers because domain buyers are always on the lookout to reduce their risk from losing names through accidental expiration.
These tips in for sellers can also be useful for people who are in the buying and selling websites business because almost everything that needs to be discussed in selling can also be taken into consideration when buying.